After hearing so many people that they love eggplant parm but are afraid to make it because it comes out bitter, I've decided to share my recipe so I can take the fear away from you :-) Also, I've decided to skip the frying process and grill the eggplant insted, which makes it more of a guilt-free dish :-)
- 3 eggplants
- cheddar and parmesan cheese to taste, grated
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- In a sauce pan add 1tbs olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Sprinkle a little bit of salt so the onion sweats and softens quicker.
- When soft add the can of tomatoes, give it a stir, season with salt and pepper, cover it and let it go on a medium heat for 15min. Then set aside.
- Peel the eggplant, cut it into thin circles or slices and salt each one of them. Let it stand for about an hour so the bitterly water comes out. After an hour pat dry the eggplant to get the extra moisture out. This is a key step!
- Preheat your oven to 180 C degrees. Place the eggplant circles on a baking sheet, sprinkle some salt and pepper and let them roast for 20min, flipping them half way through. Don't turn the oven off.
- In a casserole dish spoon a little bit of the tomato sauce.
- Lay a layer of eggplant circles, add a spoon of the tomato sauce on top and sprinkle some cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the process until all the eggplant circles are layered. Finish with tomato sauce and cheese.
- Place the dish back in the oven, bake for about 20min, let it cool for a little bit, sprinkle the basil leaves on top and enjoy!