Last weekend I went to a charity coffee morning, dedicated to the MS Society. Everyone had a slice of cake and enjoyed a lovely cup of coffee or tea.
When I had to think of what dessert to make and bring over, I figured everyone likes vanilla and berries, so I went ahead and made a delicious combo of these two ingredients.
All I can say is that this was an absolute winner and people kept coming for more. Make it the next time you have visitors over... I promise you won't regret it!!
For the cake mixture:
- 300g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 135g sugar
- 3tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tbs sour cream (ricotta works too)
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 375g fresh blueberries
For the crumb topping:
- 50g white sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 2tbs plain flower
- 1/4tsp cinnamon
- 3tbs cold butter
- Preheat your oven to 190 C degrees and grease a spring form pan.
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Take two tbs of this mixture and toss with the blueberries to ensure they stay all over the cake, otherwise they'll drown to the bottom. Then, set aside.
- In another bowl mix the butter, sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients, mix well and then carefully fold in the blueberries. Pour this mixture in the greased pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add all the crumb topping ingredients and mix them well together. Sprinkle on top of the cake batter. Bake for 60min, let cool completely end enjoy!