Chocolate and walnuts... Ohhh such goodness!!
My grandma used to make this cake every time someone asked for a dessert. According to her, this is the only chocolate cake recipe you'd ever need because it's super rich, extremely comforting and very delicious!! Seriously, anyone you make this for, will love you forever... Yep, I promise :-D
Serves 10-12 people
Ingredients and process:
- 10 egg whites
- 18tbs powder (confectioner's) sugar
- 300g ground walnuts
- 3tbs flour (fine breadcrumbs work too)
- Preheat your oven to 200 C degrees.
- Beat the egg whites (while slowly adding the sugar) until stiff peaks. Carefully fold in the flour and walnuts.
- Spread in a big rectangular baking dish, lined with parchment paper. Make sure you use a fairly big baking tray, and spread the mixture out evenly. We're aiming for the cake base to rise to about 1cm thick, so dont put too much mixture in. If you bake it in a small dish, the slices will be too thick and the cake will taste doughy.
- Bake for 30min. Let it cool while you prepare the filling, then cut in three long equal pieces.
- 10 egg yolks
- 150g powder (confectioner's) sugar
- 200g chocolate chips (cooking chocolate works too)
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- Create a double boiler (bain-marie) and cook the yolks and sugar (constantly stirring) on a medium heat for about 15min.
- Add the chocolate chips and cook for 10min, constantly stirring. Once the mixture thickens up and you see boiling bubbles, take off of the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Beat the butter until cream, add to the mixture and let it cool completely.
- Lay one base piece, spoon some of the filling, even out and cover with another piece. Spoon some more of the filling again and cover it with the last piece. Use the rest of the filling to cover the cake.
- Decorate as you wish, cool in the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!