Thursday 27 September 2012

Eggless Vegetable Fried Rice



I decided to make fried rice without eggs. I think this way the dish is lighter :-) The secret to a perfect plate of fried rice for me is having the correct ratio of rice* to vegetables (1:2). So, I used that and it turned out just as I wanted it. I used the typical frozen vegetable mix (carrots, broccoli, peas, cauliflowers and celery), but you can use fresh vegetables, too.

Serves 2

Ingredients:

- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups frozen vegetables, defrosted
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 3tbs olive oil
- 5tbs soy sauce
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp allspice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste

Process:

- In a hot skillet or wok, add the oil and when it's piping hot add the veggies, onion, salt, pepper, allspice and ginger. Keep stirring.
- When the onion has softened, start adding the rice little by little, while constantly stirring.
- Add the soy sauce and stir. Give it a try to check for seasoning, adjust and enjoy!

* If you have the time, make the rice one day or a few hours in advance and keep it in the fridge. The warmer the rice is, the more sticky the dish will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment