I've been loving this meal ever since I was past the baby food stage. No kidding! :-) There is a rice and chicken meal in almost every culture around the world, but since I grew up with the one that's common in Macedonia, it would have to be my favourite. My grandma makes it, my mum makes it, so that's why I make it now :-) And every time it brings back memories and puts me into my comfort zone :-)
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 3tbs vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, filled with a very generous amount of water add the meat, carrot, half an onion and parsley. Season it with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Set it to medium high heat and let it cook for 45min. When cooked, take it off the stove and set aside. This will be a delicious soup.
- To make the casserole, preheat the oven to 200 C degrees.
- Put a baking dish on the stove, add oil, the other half of the chopped onion and sauté over a medium high heat until the onion gets translucent. Add the uncooked rice and stir around for about 2min, so it gets well coated. This will prevent the rice from sticking.
- Add a ladle full of the cooked chicken soup, stir for a little bit, add the leftover parsley and keep adding a ladle full of soup (one at a time) and stirring for the next 7-8min. When the liquid has evaporated, give the dish a shake to even out the rice, and place the meat on top.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of the meat, add another two ladles of soup and pop it in the oven for 15-20min. During the last 2min turn the grill on to crisp up the skin. Enjoy!