Tavce Gravce is one of the most traditional Macedonian meals! It's been cooked for centuries, can be eaten as a main or a side dish and goes with pretty much anything. There is something super delicious and very comforting about it and can certainly be eaten all year round. The recipe can't be any simpler, so let's get going :-)
- 250g butter beans (cannellini beans are also fine)
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chili peppers
- 6tbs olive oil
- 2tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is also fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh marjoram (any fresh herbs work)
- Soak the beans in water over night.
- The next day bring the water to a boil, drain the beans, cover them with warm water again (don't put too much water, just enough to cover them) and bring back to a boil.
- Add 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, the chilis, and 2tbs olive oil. Give it a good stir and let the beans cook.
- Every 15min taste one of the beans to make sure they are soft. Once soft (after about 30-40min), preheat your oven to 200 C degrees. Take the beans off the stove.
- In a sauce pan, over a medium heat, add the other onion, garlic clove, smoked paprika, 4tbs of olive oil and turn the heat off. Stir the mixture until it becomes a sauce.
- Transfer it to a casserole dish, add the beans together with the water they cooked in, give them a good stir, check for seasoning and adjust.
- Place in the oven, and once you see the beans bubbling (it will happen pretty quickly), turn the oven off but leave the dish in.
- After 30min, take it out, sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve. Enjoy!