OK, so this is probably the easiest cocktail ever and if I say so myself, one of the most delicious out there. It fits perfectly for a late Saturday afternoon or for a workday evening... Or whenever you are in a mood for a cocktail :-) I made it for my family on a Friday night, everyone loved it, so I had to put the recipe together.
Serves 4 (may vary depending on the size of serving glasses you use)
- 1 cup good quality Russian vodka
- 3 lemons, zested, juiced and strained (lime works too)
- 2 1/2 cups club soda (Sprite, 7up or Lemon Mineral Water work too)
- 4tbs sugar
- 4tbs water
- a handful of fresh mint (fresh rosemary works too)
- some ice
- In a saucepan, add the water and sugar and swirl around. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat to a medium and let it simmer for about 5min. Set aside and let it cool completely. This will make a simple syrup* to sweeten the cocktail.
- When you're ready to make the cocktails, put the vodka into a pitcher, add the lemon juice, along with the syrup and mint and give it a stir. I made mine on the rocks. If you want a smoothie, add everything to a blender and get it blended for 1min.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice and enjoy!
* Take the extra minute to make the simple syrup (you can also make it days in advance). If you just add the sugar and water to a cold drink, the sugar won't dissolve and will sink to the bottom of the glass.