Being in Macedonia for a couple of weeks and enjoying the fresh tomatoes, I just can't get enough of them :-) But what happens when you don't eat them quickly enough and they start to get soft? You make a delicious pasta sauce! :-) Adding cream cheese to the sauce gives it some extra richness but you can get creative and put anything you like. This is what I did:
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4tbs plain cream cheese (double cream works too)
- 3tbs olive oil
- 1lb uncooked pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3tbs fresh chopped parsley (any fresh herb works)
- grated cheese to sprinkle on top (any cheese works)
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, drizzle some olive oil, set the heat to medium and add the garlic immediately to infuse with the cold oil. Let it go for 6-8min or until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, give them a good stir, increase the heat to a medium-high and let them cook for about 10min or until saucy consistency.
- When the tomatoes are done cooking, add the cream cheese. Check for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh parsley and give it a good stir.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, give it a good toss, add grated cheese on top and enjoy!