This recipe is so good, it doesn't even need a description :) We all love chocolate brownies!! But when you add caramel to them, it takes them to the ultimate level of deliciousness :-D Now, you can use a store-bought sauce or if you have a minute to spare, make your very own salted caramel sauce. Tip: You could double up the sauce ingredient amount and use it as an ice-cream topping ;)
Makes 24 bites
Ingredients and process:
For the caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2.5tbs butter
- 1/4 cup double cream
- a healthy pinch of salt
- Have all the ingredients ready before you start. The sauce comes together very quickly, you might burn it if you don't have everything around you.
- Over a medium heat, melt the sugar. This will take a few minutes, so be patient. The darker the sugar gets, the more intense (less sweet) your caramel sauce will be.
- When you are happy with the colour (I was happy when mine looked like light amber), move it away from the heat, add the butter and give it a good whisk. Then add the cream, whisk a little bit more, add salt and you are done.
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 200g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 120g flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 175 C degrees.
- In a bowl, mix in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the sugar and mix.
- Add the melted butter and eggs and give it a good whisk. Pour in the water and the vanilla extract, mix but don't overmix.
- Pour half of the mixture in a greased 9x9 baking dish. Pour the caramel sauce on top and cover with the rest of the brownie mixture.
- Bake for 25-30min or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool, cut into bite-size pieces and enjoy!