Who thought healthy food can be so delicious? Not me, for sure :-)
This recipe came up not because I planned on making millet cakes, but because I wanted to empty my pantry. Have you ever gone into that cleaning mode and sworn that you'll first use up everything you have and then go food shopping? Yep, that's what happened today. So, I thought I'd give this a go and... WOW! So delicious, super crispy and very filling (yet, so few calories) :-D
- 50g millet, cooked, drained and dried (rice* and chick peas work too)
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 sprigs of spring onion (or 1 chopped and sautéed yellow onion)
- a sprinkle of freshly chopped rosemary
- 1tsp sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 2tsp parmesan cheese
- 3tbs flour, and some more for dredging
- 2tbs plain oats
- a pinch of salt
- 1tsp flaxen seeds
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a bowl add the cheese, onion, rosemary, egg, sesame seeds, and give it a good mix. Add some salt if the cheese isn't salty enough.
- Add the millet, flour and oats and mix again.
- In a hot skillet add some oil. In a plate add some flour and flaxen seeds for dredging.
- Put some flour on your hand, spoon some of the millet mixture, add some more flour on top and carefully put the cake in the hot oil. Fry for 10min, then flip and fry for another 1-2min. They will be soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Enjoy!
* This is a great way to use up any rice/risotto leftovers.